Wednesday 29 February 2012

Author interview with Amy Armbruster, the author of Whispering Coves!


1. Tell us about yourself and your books!


Lately I have been describing myself alot as: Wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend - I love a cemetery on a foggy morning, I love taking pictures of anything that catches my eyes, I love to ghost hunt, I love to write and of course, last but not least, I love to spend time having fun with the family! My books...well, I write what I feel and can relate too! There's a bit of me in every book... for instance Shyla (from Whispering Coves) and her hypochondriac tendencies come straight from me (the stories I could tell)! lol! I enjoy a good ghost story that is clean enough for my daughter and her pre-teen friends to read. That's what I try to write.

2. What would you say is your favourite book/series?


We are going to go WAY back now but V.C. Andrews - anything from her when she was living - I read all of the Flowers in the Attic series as well as the Heaven (I think that was it) series. Loves them!

3. What do you do when you are not writing?

I spend a vast majority of time online - too much time, now that I have so many pages to keep up with. I enjoy ghost hunting as I said already, but also hiking and exploring with the family too - love to go to antique malls, love to explore local cemeteries and photograph the headstones and really love to search out abandoned farmhouses to photograph (all while NOT trespassing mind you). This girl likes to avoid fines and jail time! :)

4. How do you manage to get over writers block?


I start something new. The beauty of self-publishing is I have no dead lines. I do what I want, when I want and how I want. I may never make my fortune but I avoid writers block by not stressing about writers block. If I am "stuck" on a story I simply work on another one. I have so many stories in the works I should never run out of ideas or something to do!

5. How did you come up with the ideas for your books?

I find inspiration everywhere I go...many times I have an idea but it isn't until I'm writing the story that it actually unfolds, characters develop, plots thicken...I really love stories within the story! For example, in Whispering Coves, Shyla finds a diary - who wouldn't love to find a diary?

6. How have your personal experiences affected your writing?

Trust me, they are hidden deep within my books so they have a great affect on my writing. In Whispering Coves, you are introduced to Shyla from the very beginning...you find out about the loss of her brother. That is taken from my own life, I lost a cousin who was very much like a brother to me...all that pain...well, it's all right there in the book. Writing is an excellent form of therapy and much cheaper. :)

7. What, do you think, was the hardest part of writing your books?

The hardest part is finding time! I work full time and have a family at home. I am a paranormal investigator with a fairly active group called Just Curious Paranormal Studies, we try to investigate once or twice a month, so finding time is definitely the hardest part of writing!

8. If you could narrow it down to 5 of your favourite songs, what would they be?

This is so hard!!!! I have such a vast taste in music - my husband often teases that according to my MP3 player I am bipolar. I love Alexander's Ragtime Band, Bing Crosby's "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby", as well as anything by Seether or Godsmack! Picking 5 is IMPOSSIBLE! Don't ask me to choose :)

9. Do you have a favourite colour?


I love light colors, pastels. No real favorite. If it comes to clothing, I love black - because it is supposed to be slimming.

10. What is your favourite food? All of it. Which is why I wear so much black :)

11. Team Edward or Team Jacob? (Twilight Saga)


I probably will not gain any fans here, but, um, well, I have never watched or read one Twilight book. Please don't hit me. I'm not a fan of either... I know boo, hiss, right... Sorry.

12. If you could have any superpower in the world, what would you choose and why?

I want to fly because the cost of gas is just way tooooo much.

13. Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?

If you love it - do it! Let people you trust to tell you the truth read your book and give you advice, you have to know how to take the good and the bad. Most important, believe in yourself and never give up! Everyone has a story to tell.

14. Do you have anything else you would like to add to your fans and readers?

I appreciate all the support! Facebook has provided me with some wonderful friends and support - it's been amazing! My next book, Devon's Curse, will be coming out soon! After that, keep an eye out for Sister's Forevermore.

Thank so much for the interview, Katie!

~Thank you SO much, Amy, for taking the time to answer the questions! ♥ ~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment